Section: Alumni Databases
How do you deal with uploading data from your Student Records system into your Alumni system?
With difficulty seems to be the usual answer.
Seriously, though, many institutions have struggled with this question, since most student records systems are not set up to cope with moving data on into another, completely different, live system.
There are manifest issues to deal with, some of which are
- Incorrectly formatted addresses
- Alumni on the student records system who are already on the alumni database
- Details (like titles or course descriptions) which are on student records systems in one format and on
Raiser's Edge in another
- and so on and so on
There is no one answer to this conundrum, since it will depend on your implementation of Raisers' Edge and on your implementation of whichever student records system you have (Durham has Banner). Instead I have linked below 4 "process maps" (flowcharts to the un-management-speaked) which contain the logic patters we have developed as an underlying specification for what we need from an interface.
As you look at the bear in mind that our working practice in Durham is to
- Import basic information on students when they arrive, including their course and college, and their next of kin names and addresses
- Update that information with a fuller set of data when they graduate
Here are the process maps. They will open in a new window. If you use IE5.5 and above you can zoom them to make them larger, if you are using Netscape you get a .gif file which you can print out, or right click and save, and enlarge in a graphics application. We print these on A3 paper!
- Import of Basic Student Information
- Import of Student Education Information
- Import / Update of Alumni Information
- Import / Update of Alumni Education Information
Hope this helps!